July 21st, 2007

Sydney Dog

A looong overdue update...

First of all, my apologies for appearing to fall off the face the internet earth recently... Thank you so much to everyone who called, emailed, sent ecards to find out if we were all okay - we love you all!

First, a Sydney update. This week had been an incredibly draining week for all of us filled with emotional roller coasters. Sydney condition had been pretty steady since picking her up from the hospital on Sunday night. She still couldn't stand or walk, but she was very alert, wagged her tail, tried to stand on her back legs, played with her squeak toys, etc. But the news from the vet was not good. Apparently Sydney is in the final stages of liver disease and the vet wasn't sure how much time she'd have left. :(

Mark & I did a lot of talking and decided that we'd bring her in for her vet appointment this morning and have her looked at. If the vet thought it was time, we decided we would put her down... The entire few days leading up to the vet appointment were very difficult for us (which is why I haven't been here in ages...) I kept going back and forth in my mind about this and had FINALLY made peace with our decision when I left work on Friday afternoon. But when we got home,... Sydney was sitting upright - alert and happy - wagging her tail a lot, trying to follow us around the house, and playing with her toys...

Which, understandably confused the heck out of us... we finally, after much discussion, agreed to take her in and consult the vet... If the vet thought it was time, we decided to put her down, no questions... But the vet looked at her this morning and ran some tests and told us, "It's not her time yet. She's alert, won't sit still, still has her stubborn little personality... I don't think it's her time yet."

I asked her if Sydney was in any pain and she said that she really didn't think she was - which was one of my main concerns. We asked if there was a chance that Sydney could get better and she said she didn't think so either,... but that she didn't think we had to make any kind of decision right now.

So we left the vet's office, with Sydney in tow and thankful in the fact that we're able to spend a little more time with her. If the vet had said that she was in pain or that she was showing signs of depression, etc. we might consider it now, but Sydney seems in good spirits, alert, and, for now, wanting to fight -- so, of course, there's no question for us, we've decided to fight with her.

Collapse )

Much more to come on some things from our trip that I will try to post a little later (once I've recovered from all this emotional stress...) We thank all of you for your prayers, your love, and your concern!! I'm off to hug my fuzzy baby.
  • Current Mood
    exhausted exhausted