Meeting LJ friends
We also went to Tony's to meet up with waytoocoolrev for dinner at Tony's (which was excellent - we had a rigatonni with vodka and mushrooms that was to-die-for - BTW, and we think we might have seen Michael Longoria there eating with some friends before the show...) It was so nice to meet Robin and her daughter - they were funny, sweet, and SOOOO nice. :) I was so happy that we got to meet them! :)
It was the first time seeing Jersey Boys for my Mom so I was really interested in hearing what she thought of the show. To my surprise, she wasn't really into it at intermission, but ended up loving it by the end... Jersey Boys always get you at the end. :)
- I just LOVED Christian Hoff as Tommy, however... Deven will always be the ultimate Tommy DeVito to me. I completely loved Christian's portrayal of Tommy, but Deven has such incredible comedic timing that, as far as the comedic aspects of the role, it's really hard to beat his Tommy. Deven's Tommy was a bit more "smart aleck" which I really liked a lot... :)
- Really loved Michael Longoria's voice, but didn't feel the same sadness as I did while watching Chris Jones' heartbreaking "Fallen Angel" (in Orange County). And Michael looked so young, even as older Frankie - which wasn't a bad thing, just... very different for me.
- Sebastian Arcelus was interesting as Bob Gaudio. Up until last night, I'd only seen Erich Bergen in the role so it was interesting seeing someone else. My Mom REALLY liked him, but I think I've been spoiled by having seen Erich's Gaudio. Sebastian was good, sounded great, but Erich really has the young innocent look, the amazing voice, AND just the slightest bit of cockiness to effectively pull off the role and be really endearing.
- J Robert Spencer was surprisingly one of my favorite parts of the Broadway cast. His tirade to Tommy in the top of the 2nd act was hysterical - I like Michael Ingersoll and Steven Gouveia, but J Robert Spencer was just hysterical in that scene. And his Nick may have been the only Broadway version of the character that I liked more than the tour cast.
- The audience that I saw the show with was VERY subdued, they didn't laugh at the jokes or really applaud a lot... until the end when they were on their feet during the curtain call.
- I know that alligatorandme mentioned this, but Bob goes DOWNstairs during "Oh What A Night" to lose his viginity - which I expected because of her comment, but it was still a little strange to see.
- They use the trap doors in the floor like at the Ahmanson (unlike when I saw it at the OCPAC). Which gives a stronger effect to their introduction before "Rag Doll."
- I liked Peter Gregus, but no one plays Bob Crewe and says "Me-ta-phor" quite the same way as John Altieri.
- Kris Coleman is AMAZING as the French Rapper, etc... What a voice!
- And finally, if I can be quite shallow for a moment... Christian Hoff + tank top in "Oh What a Night" = an extremely LOVELY sight! *SIGH!* :)
But then again, those are only my quick impressions and I've only seen the tour cast four times, and the Broadway cast once...
And because I was able to stay on the internet connection for longer than a couple of hours yesterday, I uploaded a few of the photos that we took so far. My apologies in advance for grouping both days together - and for the tremendously looooong post. Hopefully I can maintain my wireless and post these as they happen. :)
Yes, we always need a photo by Rockefeller Center
At the NBC Store! :)
At Tavern on the Green! :)
At Lincoln Center :)
With waytoocoolrev at Tony's :)
I'm off to get some rest and try to catch up on all of your entries. Big HUGS to everyone!! :)